How Long Do Veneers Last?
Your dentist may recommend veneers for various cosmetic dental concerns, like chipped, broken, or discoloured teeth.
Dental veneers are an attractive option for patients looking for stronger and straighter teeth. These natural-looking shells attach to a tooth’s surface, resulting in an improved, brighter smile. Veneers are easily installed, durable, and look almost exactly like the real deal!
At Upper Gage Dental Centre, we want our patients to know all the essential details about cosmetic dental procedures before making decisions about their oral health.
So, don’t be shy– reach out to our knowledgeable team; we can help you decide if veneers are suitable for your smile.
Are Veneers Right For Me?
If you’re looking to improve the appearance of your teeth, book an appointment with your dentist and ask about veneers. Your dental care team can perform an exam, and determine if veneers are the best solution.
Veneers won’t work for everyone’s smile, and the dentist will examine your teeth closely to determine if you’re a candidate for this cosmetic procedure.
Veneers may not be the best choice if:
- You have tooth decay
- Your teeth have thin enamel
- You have gum disease
- There’s a large area of tooth missing
- You clench or grind your teeth
Veneers are a surefire way to make your smile even, brighter, and happier. Dental veneers best treat the following issues:
- Cracked teeth
- Chipped teeth
- Broken teeth
- Misshapen teeth
- Discoloured teeth
There are a few types of dental veneers, but the most popular styles consist of 2 materials: composite-resin or porcelain.
These types of dental veneers have a very short recovery period after installation. Patients only require a small amount of anesthesia, and once veneers are cemented in place, day-to-day life continues as usual.
Composite-resin veneers are lower-priced, created from natural tooth-coloured materials, then bonded to each tooth. This type of veneer is very easily repaired, and works great for patients with sensitive teeth, requiring less enamel for placement.
Porcelain veneers are sturdier, stain-resistant, and appear almost exactly like natural teeth. These types of veneers are created to cap over each tooth.
Are Veneers Permanent?
Patients can expect their porcelain veneers to last at least 10 years, and some studies even suggest 20 years with proper care and maintenance. Being cautious with your veneers can help extend their lifespan, ensuring a semi-permanent solution, filled with confident smiles and even teeth.
Increase The Longevity of Your Veneers
The longevity of your veneers can depend on several factors:
- Material: Composite-resin veneers are typically less expensive than porcelain veneers, but their lifespan is significantly shorter.
- Oral hygiene: Patients who practise good dental hygiene, brush at least twice daily, floss regularly, and keep up with dental appointments have better success with their veneers.
- Teeth grinding: Consider a night guard to protect your dental veneers.
- Injuries and impacts: Patients who play contact sports should wear a mouthguard to protect their dental veneers.
- Hard foods: Be cautious when chewing hard foods like ice and candies.
- Bad habits: Holding items in your mouth, and opening packages with your teeth can affect the longevity of veneers.
Your newfound brighter smile can last for decades with proper hygiene and maintenance. Here are a few additional tips to keep your veneers lasting as long as possible:
- Brush, brush, brush: Brush your teeth twice daily to keep your smile healthy and clean.
- The floss is more than a fancy dance: And we don’t mean frantically flossing before your next dental appointment! Include flossing as a part of your daily oral health routine.
- Practice thoughtful chewing: Hard foods can cause significant damage to the teeth. Consider chewing harder foods on the back teeth to avoid damage to your veneers.
- Use protection: Night guards can protect your teeth from grinding, and mouthguards work well for patients who play contact sports.
- Don’t be a stranger: Keep up with routine dental appointments! The dentist can carefully inspect your veneers, catching any damages, staining, cavities or sealing problems, helping to mitigate issues before they turn into something more significant.
A Semi-Permanent Solution
You can expect your dental veneers to last around 10 to 15 years, provided they are carefully maintained and handled with care. The type of veneers you choose can also play a part in their longevity, and of course, your lifestyle plays a crucial role in their success.
Book an appointment with your dentist to discuss the possibility of dental veneers for your smile. They’ll consider these factors before making a recommendation:
- Your budget
- Your lifestyle
- Your oral hygiene
- Your overall oral health
If veneers are the right solution to improve the appearance of your teeth and increase your confidence, we’ll outline your next steps in the process, and get you started down the path to your new smile.
Contact a friendly and knowledgeable Hamilton dentist at Upper Gage Dental Centre with any additional questions about veneers and their lifespan. You’re in excellent hands – we believe the possibilities are endless for happy and healthy smiles!